Where Are You, Christmas? by Georgia Weasley
Summary: gluttony christmas
With an empty house on Christmas morning, Molly Weasley finds it hard to get into the holiday spirit. Banner by Norbert1175 at eHPF
Categories: One Shot, Harry Potter Characters: None
Genres: Fluff
Ships: None
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1371 Read: 9961 Published: 04/01/2009 Updated: 04/01/2009
Story Notes:
This is a song fic based on the Faith Hill song of the same title. I was also very honored forit to have won the Christmas Drabble Challenge at eHPF!
Where Are You, Christmas? by Georgia Weasley
"Where Are You Christmas?"



Where are you Christmas?
Why can't I find you?
Why have you gone away?
Where is the laughter
You used to bring me?
Why can't I hear music play?



The sun barely peeked over the horizon, painting the morning sky in streaks of orange and pink. Molly stared out of the snow frosted kitchen window, her tea untouched in front of her. The Burrow sat wrapped in silence. Christmas morning had arrived, and the quiet unnerved her. No shining faces peered down the stairs to see what gifts awaited them. No excited voices rang out “Happy Christmas Mummy!” at the first hint of dawn. Arthur still slept soundly in the bedroom above her head, oblivious to her somber mood. If not for the tree in the corner, topped with the now-traditional gold painted garden gnome, she would not have even guessed today held any significance at all. Without her children about her, it wasn’t Christmas for Molly Weasley.


My world is changing.
I'm rearranging.
Does that mean Christmas changes too?


Sighing deeply, Molly stood and began to fix a small breakfast for her husband. Ginny married Harry last New Year’s Eve, and so the last of her brood left the Burrow to begin their own families. Glancing at the pictures on the wall, she smiled wistfully at the sweet, round faces of her grandchildren. Bill and Percy each had two girls, and she adored having them round for tea parties. They promised to arrive later in the day for lunch. Molly eyed the large ham and pudding set out on the counter. Yes, her family would arrive. She wondered, though, if each of her children would continue the Weasley family tradition of presents and sweet rolls for breakfast. This year marked the first one since Bill’s birth that she had not rolled out dough and baked the delicious cinnamon buns for them. They had been Fred’s favorite. After his death, Ginny convinced her to continue to bake them, and they toasted Fred’s memory each Christmas not with a drink, but with a sticky-fingered salute. Now what would she do for Christmas with all of her children gone?


Where are you Christmas?
Do you remember
The one you used to know?
I'm not the same one.
See what the time's done.
Is that why you have let me go?



Leaving the tea to brew, Molly wandered through the Burrow. Suddenly, it seemed filled with the ghosts of Christmases past. She could almost see eight year old Ginny, russet hair shining in the candlelight, sitting on Arthur’s lap as he read “’Twas the Night Before Christmas” to the children. Then he would dance around the family room, little Ginny standing on his feet. Turning to face the staircase, she envisioned two imps sliding down the banister, trying to beat their older brothers to the gifts beneath the tree and the largest cinnamon bun. Remembering the feel of their little warm bodies pressed tightly to her in a ‘double hug’ forced a small, teary laugh from her. Her boys. And little Ronnie, dragging around that teddy and following after Fred and George everywhere they went. The ache in her heart threatened to overwhelm her. Molly’s knitting needles sat idle on the lamp stand, unnecessary now. After Arthur’s promotion in the Ministry, they had been able to afford the things they’d scrimped and saved so carefully for before. She giggled softly, imagining her family in their matching Weasley sweaters. Now, with store bought gifts wrapped beautifully beneath her tree, there was no need for her creations. Now, with all her babies grown and gone, there was no need for her. What would she do now?


As she sat, wrapped in memories like a down blanket, a soft knock came from the kitchen door. Her brows drew together, wondering who could be calling this early on a Christmas morning. Wiping a few stray tears from her eyes, she rose to answer the door. Through the window she spied Ginny and Harry, tightly bound in Molly Weasley original scarves and hats and coated in a frosting of ice and snow. Quickly opening the door, she ushered them in out of the cold.

“What in Merlin’s name? Why are you two here so early? I thought you’d come for lunch with your brothers, Ginny. But, Happy Christmas!”

Molly gave them both a tight squeeze, thankful that her slight pity party had been interrupted. Normally, she never allowed herself moments like that. Somehow, being alone on Christmas morning touched that small stone of grief she held deep within her. The mother hen’s nest stood empty, and she should be allowed to mourn that occasionally. Her daughter and son-in-law’s arrival just ensured that she didn’t spend too long visiting that particular place inside her. Ginny beamed at her, glowing with the joy of the season and the love she and Harry had found, and reached out to hold her hand.

“Well, Mum, we came a little early to spend Christmas morning with you. Harry and I wanted to bring you a very special present before the masses descended upon you this afternoon.”

“A present for me? You know you didn’t have to do that, dear. Just having you here is enough gift for me. Come and sit. Do you want some tea?”

Harry closed the door and helped Ginny out of her damp winter clothes. Seeing them together warmed Molly’s heart. It reminded her of she and Arthur’s first married years. Ginny pulled a package from her bag, and opened up a parcel filled with cinnamon buns.

“I made them this year, Mum. I don’t believe it is Christmas without Freddy’s sweet rolls. Try one, won’t you, and see if I did yours justice.” Ginny offered her mother a roll, and Molly had to steady her hand as she took the beautiful thing from her daughter. The tradition had not died after all! Taking a bite, she closed her eyes and tasted....Christmas.

“They are lovely, Ginny. Really excellent. You did a fantastic job.”

“That is exactly what I told her,” Harry said. “But that isn’t really your present, Molly. We have something else for you, too.” He turned to Ginny and winked at her, taking her hand in his again.


“Yes, we do. Here, Mum. Open this.” Ginny passed a very small white box topped with a golden ribbon. Molly took it with a questioning look in her eyes. Upon opening it, she found a silver bracelet with five charms. Four of them had little pink stones and the birth dates of Molly’s four granddaughters. The fifth held a blue stone, and had no date engraved upon it. Her heart jumped into her throat. Tears filled her eyes, and she looked up at Ginny with the question on her lips.

“Yes, Mum. We’re expecting! A boy! We can have his name and birthday etched in when he arrives this summer. Isn’t that wonderful? We had to come and tell you first. I’m going to need all the help I can get, and I figured I had better get my order in for blankets and booties early. Maybe you could even teach me to knit, you think?”

Molly sat dumbfounded at first, and then finding her feet at last jumped up and wrapped her arms around Ginny. Her baby was now expecting a baby! And she needed Molly! Images of the Burrow filled with grandchildren on Christmas morning began to fill Molly’s heart. Maybe her days of Christmas joy were not quite over yet.


“Of course, dear. That’s what mothers are for! We can start as soon as you like. Congratulations, Harry dear. This is so lovely! What a perfect Christmas gift.”


I feel you Christmas.
I know I've found you.
You never fade away.
The joy of Christmas
Stays here inside us,
Fills each and every heart with love.
Christmas is here
Everywhere, oh
Christmas is here
If you care, oh.
If there is love in your heart and your mind
You will feel like Christmas all the time.
End Notes:
This song is from the movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" starring Jim Carrey. Please let me know what you think and leave a review!