New Houses by granpa harry
Summary:

After the final battle with Voldemort's followers the magical community was devistated. Many deaths occured in the months prior to the war.

But the magical word has its own methods of keeping its numbers.


Categories: Harry Potter Characters: None
Genres: General
Ships: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1119 Read: 762 Published: 12/03/2014 Updated: 12/03/2014

1. A Different Sort by granpa harry

A Different Sort by granpa harry

The brim of the sorting hat curls and then opens

‘On this anniversary of the founding of this school. It has come to my attention that a change must occur.

The colors have all stayed the same but an emphases has been made to move the children into houses more adept to their capabilities.

Where once there were four there will now be six. So there will be some changes from those previously sorted.
But I know what I speak of and have already surmised, the changes to necessitate a new direction

So if you would all please stand and step back from your chairs, the head mistress will re-arrange our tables and seats.’


The entire room looked around and finally up towards the front table. Professor Sprout, the new head mistress smiled to everyone. ‘If you would not mind, please stand up and move towards the back of the room. Constance, please take charge of the first years. We will bring them back in just a pinch’ Sprout said to the new charms teacher, Professor Constance Banks.

‘Yes Head Mistress, this way children.’ Constance said, leading the first years out a side door of the Great Hall.

It took a few minutes for the student to comprehend what they were supposed to do. Teachers who had been in charge of the four houses had stood and with a befuddled look at the Head Mistress, who nodded them into action, stepped down to guide all the students away from the four tables.

When all the tables were empty, the sorting hat nodded to Sprout. ‘if you would be so kind, I can help you with the arrangements.’ So Sprout removed her patchwork hat and placed it on a table. She then stepped forward and took the Sorting hat from its stool and
Placed it upon her head.

After a moment, when the brim seemed to give her instructions nobody else could hear, the head mistress raised her wand and the 4 tables slid towards the side walls of the room leaving just enough space for a fifth and sixth table. Everyone noticed the room seemed to get wider at the same time. Along the back wall, above the heads of all the students were the banners of their houses. Here in the center two new banners appeared.
A purple hippogriff and what appeared to be a large wolf appeared along with the Lion, Badger Snake and Eagle banners.

Blue Ravenclaw eagle ‘the creative’ 5th floor West tower (air)
Red Griffyndor lion ‘the brave’ 7th floor tower (fire)
Yellow Hufflepuff badger ‘the loyal’ by the kitchen (earth)
Green Slytherin snake ‘the ambitious’ in the dungeons (water)
Purple Snape hippogriff ‘the proud’ (time)
Brown Dumbledore wolf ‘the agreeable’ (mineral)


The students all looked up and saw the banners. Some pointed at the two new colors and some students seemed to move around, aligning themselves with the different houses.

Professor Sprout removed the sorting hat and set it back on the stool. She then said, ‘the sorting will begin. When you hear your name please move to your table.’

It took nearly 20 minutes for the second through seventh years to be sorted. A few students in the beginning started to protest, but the Head Mistress quieted them down and told them it was already decided and that their parents would be notified shortly to any changes.

‘Maybe something to drink’. She waved her wand and the tables were filled with glasses and pitchers of assorted beverages. ‘Professor Banks if you please.’ She said to the witch standing by the entrance.

Constance turned and opened the door and waved the first years in. ‘move to the front of the tables and stand I two rows’ she said as they walked it the room. The teachers and students got their first real look at these first years.

‘There is so many,’ could be heard coming from the teachers and students. Most years the number ranges between 35-45 news students. Older students come and go on occasions. During the first years of Voldemort’s reign parents kept their children home. Other moved out of England, away from the perceived danger.

This year 60 eleven year olds stood at the front of the Great Hall. The hall became quiet and the Sorting hat began.

‘You may have noticed our numbers have gone down. Many in our community have died in the last year others have simply found new homes. So as has happened a few times before the school will now grow to accommodate the need of our community. Look around and see the plans to come.’

The hat became silent again and Professor Banks unrolled her parchment. ‘Abagail Allen
A little red haired girl walked to the chair, took the hat from it and sat facing the students. She then placed the hat on her head and waited.

‘Ravenclaw’ Shouted the sorting hat. Abagail stood up removing the hat from her head and placed it back onto the stool. She then ran towards the screeching and banging coming from the Ravenclaw table.

Constance looked back to the parchment and said, ‘Robert Banks.’

A blond boy, taller than most his classmates pushed from the second row of first years and walked to the chair. He looked up to his mother and smiled. Taking the hat from the chair, he turned and sat, placing it on his head.

‘Dumbledore,’ called the hat.

He turned and smiled to his mother, removed the hat and set it back on the chair, before walking quickly to his new house mates cheering him on. When he got to the table, he looked towards the 5th years sitting a few seats away and saw his brother’s smiling eyes behind hands cupped around his mouth. A great Howl echoed from him. A few other boys at the table took the opportunity to howl with him.

On and on the sorting went. Finally Professor Banks waved her wand and the hat lifted and soared out of the great hall, presumably heading to a spot on the shelf of the headmistress’ office.

Professor Sprout stood and with a big smile said ’Let’s eat.’

The platters on all the tables became full and the students and teachers all gave a sigh of relief. Heads went together around the room. Everyone was discussing the new houses, the Sorting Hats message and the year ahead of them.


*Englands population and with it, the size of the magical community had major increases at two different times in the past
From the mid 1500, after 500 years of decline, population rose nearly 100% over 100 year period
And again through the 1800’s when the population quadrupled over 110 year period

End Notes:

 a work in progress, I will keep adding through the week.

This story archived at http://https://gluttonyfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=720